Logo Leibniz Universität Hannover
Logo: IFUM
Logo Leibniz Universität Hannover
Logo: IFUM
  • Zielgruppen
  • Suche
 

History of the Institute

The IFUM is one of the oldest institutes of forming technologies among German universities. It emerged from the chair for “Mechanical Technologies“of Karl Karmasch, that he passed on to Hermann Fischer in 1875. The professorship then became the chair for Mechanical technology, construction technology, heating and ventilation and machine tools and Friedrich Schwerd took the chair in 1911. He obtained the possibility to create, for the first time, a separate and specialized institute for machine tools. During his leadership, the institute grew to be the biggest at that time and he additionally conducted intensive research on steel sheet processing/treatment already before World War I. In 1928, an inspection authority for grinding disks was added to the institute.

After the Second World War in 1947, Otto Kienzle became head of the heavily damaged institute for tool machines and put a lot of effort in its reconstruction. To encourage the necessary contact between the research institute and the related industry, he established the Hannoversche Forschungsinstitut für Fertigungsfragen e. V.. Equally due to this effort, big conferences about research related to the institute were organized.  

Furthermore, he published the newspaper „Werkstatttechnik“ from 1934 until 1957, which published articles about sheet metal forming and drop forging. The professorship was split into the chair for manufacturing engineering and cutting tool machines and the chair for tool machines and forming techniques, which Otto Kienzle continued to do until the beginning of 1963.

His successor Hans Bühler, took on the chair of the Hannoversche Forschungsinstitut für Fertigungsfragen e.V. (HFF) and a year later the additional duties as the director of the Amtliche Materialprüfanstalt für Werkzeuge, Werkzeugmaschinen und Fertigungstechnik, that was created that year. New, future-oriented research areas like high-speed forming, the basic research of strip profiling as well as questions on residual stress were the focus of research. Hans Bühler stayed as the publisher of the “Schmiedetechnische Mitteilungen” and the journal „Industrieanzeiger“ for more than 12 years. More than 800 people often attended the conferences on forming techniques that continued to happen.  

In April 1974, he was able to pass one of the biggest institutes of the technical university Hannover to his successor Eckart Doege. Being head of the development, experiment and research department of a well-known factory producing presses, Eckart Doege further build the area of forming machines and sheet metal forming. Additionally, the focus was shifted by introducing the Finite Element Methode as a new method of calculation. He simultaneously intensified the efforts to interpret forming processes through fundamental approaches with experimental comparison.

The usage of CA-technologies among the forming technologies was another focus of research. Eckart Droege additionally took over the chair of the Hannoversche Forschungsinstiut für Fertigungsfragen e.V. (HFF). The HFF unites the circle of friends of the institute and its tasks mainly consist of consulting and technological transfer.

Since October 2003, Professor Bernd-Arno Behrens is working at the institute and took over the management as well as the professorship from Eckart Doege in December of the same year. Further, he is the spokesperson of the Amtliche Materialprüfanstalt of Werkzeug, Werkzeugmaschinen and Fertigungstechnik (MPA). This institute deals with the official examination of tools and machines through safety investigations of grinding tools and grinding machines as well as the quality management, audit organization, DKD Kalibrierdienst and the general testing of tools and materials including all official assessments in the case of damage.

The institute moved to the newly constructed Produktionstechnisches Zentrum Hannover (PZH) in May 2004, where all production technology institutes of the University are situated under one roof and working in direct cooperation with industry to solve current theoretical and practical research questions together.